Designed by Sweden and used all over the world since 1977. This so called Man Portable air defense system has been made for harsh environments where every shot matters.
Read more >>>
When F-15 Eagle entered service in 1976 and was presented as competition to Soviet Mig-23 and Mig-25 which existence was revealed by the US intelligence. Until this day F-15 is still considered as one of the most successful fighter airplane ever built, tested in many conflicts around the globe even in the Gulf war.
This twin-engine beast manufactured by Boeing will stay in service with US Air Force until 2025.
Through the years more than ten versions were created from single-seat to two-seat. But one of the standard versions most used in combat was F-15C which was powered by two 65.3kN dry and 105.7kN with afterburn Pratt & Whitney turbofans.
It could reach speeds over 2.5 Mach (2655km/h) with maximum initial rate of climb over 50.000ft/min. All the specifications mean nothing in compare to the fact, that no F-15 until this day has been shot down in a dogfight. This airplane is also famous from its endurance when damaged. There is a true story how a pilot landed F-15 perfectly even though it was missing a wing.
Currently it is being used in Israel, Japan, Saudi Arabia and USA. Japan is using the F-15E variation.
Although F-15 is mainly known as being a fighter but it can also carry the ASM-135 anti-satellite weapon,
acting as a first stage launcher.
* Crew: 1
* Length: 63 ft 9 in (19.43 m)
* Wingspan: 42 ft 10 in (13.05 m)
* Height: 18 ft 6 in (5.63 m)
* Wing area: 608 ft² (56.5 m²)
* Airfoil: NACA 64A006.6 root, NACA 64A203 tip
* Empty weight: 28,000 lb (12,700 kg)
* Loaded weight: 44,500 lb (20,200 kg)
* Max takeoff weight: 68,000 lb (30,845 kg)
* Powerplant: 2× Pratt & Whitney F100-100 or -220 afterburning turbofans
o Dry thrust: 17,450 lbf (77.62 kN) each
o Thrust with afterburner: 25,000 lbf for -220 (111.2 kN for -220) each
* Maximum speed:
o High altitude: Mach 2.5+ (1,650+ mph, 2,660+ km/h)
o Low altitude: Mach 1.2 (900 mph, 1,450 km/h)
* Combat radius: 1,061 nmi (1,222 mi, 1,967 km) for interdiction mission
* Ferry range: 3,450 mi (3,000 nmi, 5,550 km) with conformal fuel tanks and three external fuel tanks
* Service ceiling: 65,000 ft (20,000 m)
* Rate of climb: >50,000 ft/min (254 m/s)
* Wing loading: 73.1 lb/ft² (358 kg/m²)
* Thrust/weight: 1.12 (-220)
* Guns: 1× internally mounted 20 mm (0.787 in) M61A1 gatling gun, 940 rounds
* Hardpoints: four wing, four fuselage, two wing stations, centerline station, optional fuselage pylons with a capacity of 16,000 lb (7,300 kg)
o AIM-7 Sparrow
o AIM-120 AMRAAM
o AIM-9 Sidewinders